|Camp Kanawha was
located at Decota in Kanawha County.
The camp was in Shrewsbury Hollow at the present site of the
swimming pool at Kanawha State Forest. In existence from April 7,
1938 until June 30, 1942, it was one of those that opened late, but
also it was one of those that was still active 6 months into World War
11. The primary mission of the camp was to develop recreation
facilities at Kanawha State Forest. These included picnic
areas,shelters, roads, bridges, electric lines and a swimming
Note: Clicking on an image opens a new window. Close window to return here.
Camp Kanawha motor pool. The trucks and men were on the road, at work when this picture was taken.
Some Camp Kanawha CCC trucks. Every CCC company was mobilized to carry out its varied conservation missions. Frequently, the boys had to travel far from camp each day to road-building and erosion control sites. These field crews were divided into work detail sections. This photo was probably taken on a weekend.
This unidentified CCC member of Camp Kanawha enjoys a moment of relaxation. Note the clean, shining condition of the vehicle. The boys not only stayed busy working during the regular day, but they also worked back at camp keeping the vehicles looking their best.