|Camp Wyoming was operated by CCC
Company 1538 from June of 1933 to late spring of 1936. Designated as
P-54, the company was responsible for construction of cabins, ranger
stations and towers. Co 1538 also made other important
contributions such as road-building and in fighting/suppressing fires.
For an extensive look at the company, see Gold Medal CCC Company 1538 by
Kathy Mays Smith. The author's father, Captain Charles W. Mays,
was the first commander of the company. This documentary covers all aspects
company from formation to its termination and is a supberb resource for
those who would like a comprehensive understanding of a real CCC
company. Contact the author for further information. Some photos
courtesty of Kathy Mays Smith.
Note: Clicking on an image below opens a new window. Close window to return here.
An early view of Camp Wyoming when tents on wooden platforms were predominant which was typical of the early CCC camps throughout the country in the 1933-35 time frame.
A later picture of the camp when most of the tents have been replaced by neat-appearing wide,
barracks that border the company street.
Officers and enlisted, army leaders of Camp Wyoming. Standing, L to R are Captain Charles W. Mays, Lt C. Barrien, Captain J. West and the camp surgeon, Lt L. Zwick, MD. Kneeling/sitting, L to R are SSgt N. Capps, Sgt A. Gardner, Sgt E. Wiggins and Pvt E. Yonkowski, cook (Source: NACCCA and "Written on the Land")