|Francis L. Austin was inducted into
the Class of 2012 into the WVCCCMA Hall of Fame. Our Honoree was
born April 20, 1914 in Tunnelton, West Virginia, the son of Arlie and
Mary Austin. Most of his life, he resided on Warder Avenue,
Grafton, West Virginia.
Francis joined the CCC on July 21, 1935 in Kingwood, Preston County, West Virginia. From Kingwood, he was assigned to Camp Parsons, then to Marlinton, West Virginia, in Pocahontas County, Camp Copperhead. Later he served at Camp Bowers, Pickens Road, Randolph County, West Virginia. A number of Mr. Austin's adventures while serving in the CCC can be found in the book, “Written On The Land,” by Dr. Robert Anderson. Austin's son, Ivan, commented that his father was always proud of his service in the CCC where he developed a love of carpentry. He carried this skill throughout his lifetime.
After the CCC, he worked with the Works Progress Administration, the WPA, In Morgantown, West Virginia.
Throughout our honoree's life he carried a deep love of God. He was known as a skilled carpenter and painter. Francis was proud of being a part of the founding of the State CCC Museum at Quiet Dell in 2002. His son, Ivan, served as president of the CCC museum association during the early years of the organization.
Our Hall of Fame inductee passed away on August 15, 2009.
Francis Austin at Camp Copperhead.
Francis Austin with Dr. Bob Anderson.