Camp Glady Fork,  Company 524, F-2

Camp Glady Fork during its period of occupation was involved with a variety of recreation, construction, fire protection, and conservation projects including forestry work, planting trees, building roads and trails, and keeping the roads open in spite of harsh mountain conditions and the tough terrain of Randolph County. Glady is located eleven miles SE of Elkins. Glady Fork, is a tributary of the Dry Fork and Black Fork which forms the headwaters of the Cheat River. Located between Middle Mountain and Shaver's Mountain, winter would bring unbearable cold, with high winds with heavy snow. Camp Glady Fork was home to CCC Company 524 and CCC Company 566 from 1933 to 1937. After 1937, the campsite, with its numerous wooden barracks and administrative support buildings, was occasionally used as an auxiliary camp by other CCC camps.  After the CCC program ended the US Forest Service sold or demolished the remaining buildings.  Glady Fork was active from May 20, 1933 to July 10, 1937.  These very rare CCC photos were donated to the WVCCC Museum courtesy of the Wilbur Edgell family of Maple Lake, Bridgeport, West Virginia.

Note:  Clicking on an image opens a new window.  Close window to return here.

Camp Glady Fork

The snow piles up quickly at Glady Fork. It was all the CCC could do to keep the roads open at times.

The Alpena CCC 524 baseball team, 1934. Baseball was a big part of camp life high in the mountains.

Work crew battling the elements near Glady Fork Camp, near Dry Fork 1934.

Winter wonderland within sight of camp.

The barracks at Glady Fork.

Young Wilbur Edgell, like most CCC "Boys" loved his time on the diamond.
At CCC he had a keen ability to operate heavy equipment and learned how to maintain it.
After World War II, he worked in the Bridgeport area as a heavy machinery operator, and later, as a highly skilled mechanic.

Picking up supplies for camp in Elkins, 1934.

Road Crew