| The West Virginia State CCC Museum
Association is proud to announce that Sandy L. DeMark (deceased) was
inducted into the WVCCCMA Hall of Fame with the Class of 2012 on
October 20, 2012. at the Fall CCC Jubilee held at the Quiet Dell United
Methodist Church, Quiet Dell, West Virginia.
Mr. DeMark was born April 18, 1912 in Coalton, Preston County, West Virginia. He was the son of Joseph and Catherine Spadafore Demark who immigrated from their native Italy.
Our inductee joined the CCC in 1936 and served in Harrison County, Camp Harrison, Quiet Dell, West Virginia. Camp # 2592 was located on the hill behind the Quiet Dell School, the present day home of the West Virginia State CCC Museum. According to his sister, Mary Russell, Sandy was a born leader. He quickly moved up to assistant camp leader. During the three years he served in the CCC, he learned a deep love of the environment. He excelled in classes in arithmetic, typing, engineering, music, and cooking. In his later years, he was involved in the founding of the West Virginia State CCC Museum at Quiet Dell.
When World War II came, our honoree signed up for the U.S. Army. Due to a severe foot injury suffered as a youth, he was disappointed at being unable to serve. Throughout his life, he was well known as a skilled businessman and community leader. Sandy operated a feed store in Clarksburg, a grocery store, and a hardware store (Sandy's Hardware) in Stonewood. He built a number of fine homes in Stonewood. Sandy also kept a farm in Johnstown, South of Clarksburg, West Virginia.
Mrs. Russell recalled that "he was a no nonsense person. If there was a ever a self made man, he was that man." He was also a devoted family man. He married Loraine Wilson and they raised four children, one son, Sandy Lyle Jr., and three daughters, Catherine, Dottie, and Karen. In his family are many grandchildren, and great grandchildren.
DeMark's love for conservation carried on long after the CCC. His passion was to bring Elk Creek, a tributary of the West Fork River, back to life. Through his inspired leadership, he and others worked tirelessly to make Elk Creek habitable for fish and other living things. Before his efforts, Elk Creek was a lifeless stream. He was able to see that Elk Creek had gone through a wonderful and positive transformation. He headed the Elk Creek Water Polllution Association for many years. His motto was "Save Our Streams".
Mr. DeMark was proud that he was one of the Founding Fathers of the Town of Stonewood, as well as the Stonewood Volunteer Fire Department. Our wonderful CCC Hall of Famer went to be with the Good Lord on November 15, 2003.
Sandy DeMark in the CCC working in a stone quarry.